Nara National Museum carries out restoration work to ensure our valuable cultural properties can be passed down safely to future generations.
We have established the Cultural Property Conservation and Restoration Fund to solicit donations to help cover the necessary costs of these activities.
Constant restoration work is necessary to ensure the transmission of cultural properties. However, the expenses of the most up-to-date technology and the painstaking efforts such an undertaking requires are substantial. We would appreciate your contributions towards ensuring the preservation of cultural properties so they can be passed down to future generations.
A case study in the preservation of cultural properties
Standing Namubutsu Taishi (Prince Shōtoku)
Kamakura period, 13-14 century
Wood with pigments
H. 68.0 cm
Nara National Museum
Financial Affairs, Administrative Division
* If you wish to receive income tax or resident tax deductions, please contact us before you transfer the funds for your donation.
Information Based on the Specified Commercial Transactions
|Operational Organization||Nara National Museum|
|Operational Director||Sonobe Kuniteru, Deputy Executive Director|
|Address||50 Noboriōji-chō, Nara-shi, Nara 630-8213, Japan|
|Application and Payment Method,Other Fees||Please access this page.|
|Time of Payment||When confirming the donation.|
|Time of Shipping, Return and Exchange Policy||None|
Details on Preferential Tax Treatments
Taxation on Contributions
The Independent Administrative Institution National Institutes for Cultural Heritage (Nara National Museum’s governing body) is a designated public-service promotion corporation. As such, individuals and companies making contributions to Nara National Museum can receive preferential income and resident tax treatment separate from other general donations.
Contributions to Cultural Property Conservation and Restoration Fund are eligible for this preferential tax treatment.
*If you pay income tax in Japan and wish to receive a Certificate for a tax deduction, please refer to the Inquiries tab to contact us before confirming your donation.
How to Apply for Preferential Tax Treatment
Please submit the Donation Acceptance Certificate or the Receipt issued by Nara National Museum when filing your taxes.
These documents are needed to receive preferential tax treatment, so please store them securely.
About Preferential Tax Treatments (Deductions)
Contributions to designated public-service promotion corporations are eligible for the following preferential tax treatment.
When an individual makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid is treated as a "designated donation" and a certain amount is subject to tax deduction following appropriate procedures. This system allows either [the sum of total donation made during the year] or [Amount equal to 40% of total income] (Applied to the lower amount of the two) minus 2000 yen to be deducted from taxes.
- If total annual income is 8,000,000 yen:
40% of total annual income = 3,200,000 yen
- Tax deducted in this case is calculated as follows:
If total amount of donation is 50,000 yen; (50,000 yen - 2,000 yen = 48,000 yen)
If total amount of donation is 4,000,000 yen; 3,200,000 - 2,000 yen = 3,198,000 yen
When a corporate makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid can be listed separate from standard donations to receive preferential tax deduction. In addition, the revisions to the tax system in 2012 raised the deductible amount limit to allow for a further preferential treatment.
⇒Deductible tax amount = (Capital fund x 0.375% + 6.25% of Gross Income) x 1/2
How to Donate
Payment by credit card
- Enter the donation amount, fill in required items(*)and select ‘Add to Cart’ on the page of the project you wish to support (donors can make multiple donations).
- After checking the ‘Cart Contents’ on the cart page, please proceed to checkout.
- Please fill in the necessary information(*).
- After checking all the details on the ‘Checkout’ page, please confirm your donation.
*We accept the following cards.
*Notes regarding credit card payments
- Credit cards can only be used by the person who owns the card.
- Payments in multiple installments are not possible.
- As a general rule, changes cannot be made and funds cannot by returned after a payment is made.
- The payment will be taken from the designated account on the date determined by your credit card company. Please consult the statement issued by your credit card company for details.
- Please contact your credit card company if an error occurs after payment is made.
Payment by bank transfer (Limited to addresses within Japan)
Donations to the Cultural Property Conservation and Restoration Fund can also be made by direct transfer to the account listed below. We thank you for all your warm support and cooperation.
Nanto Bank Honten branch (branch number 010) regular account 2222959 (account number)
Account holder’s name (katakana): ドクリツギョウセイホウジン コクリツブンカザイキコウ
*The name ‘ナラコクリツハクブツカン’ can also be used.
*Please pay the transfer costs separately
* If you wish to receive income tax or resident tax deductions, please contact us on the telephone number or e-mail address below before making the transfer.
Financial Affairs, Administrative Division, Nara National Museum
Telephone: 81-742-22-4454 (direct line)