The Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties researches Japan’s cultural properties using a variety of basic, advanced and practical methods, with the results of this research actively publicized and utilized. It also strives to fulfil its role as a center for international cooperation by running international research exchange programs aimed at conserving global cultural properties.
We hope to further our research into cultural properties by making careful use of donations received from the general public.
We look forward to receiving your warm support and cooperation for our endeavors.
Research at Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology,University of Oxford
Demonstration record of nationally designated important intangible cultural property 'Miyazonobushi'
Examining insects caught on fly catcher ribbons installed in historic wooden buildings
International Course on Conservation of Japanese Paper
- With their prior consent, donors gifting 50,000 yen or more will receive a special letter of appreciation and their name will be listed on our website (needed to contact inquiries in advance).
- Donors will also receive a year’s subscription to our research reports and our quarterly ‘Tobunken News(Japanese)’ magazine.
*Please contact inquiries regarding your preferences before confirming your donation.
*Limited to addresses within Japan.
Financial Affairs, Administrative Division, Research Support and Promotion Department
*If you consider bequests, please contact above e-mail address.
Information Based on the Specified Commercial Transactions
|Operational Organization||Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties|
|Operational Director||Saito Takamasa Director General|
|Address||13-43 Ueno Park, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-8713, Japan|
|Application and Payment Method,Other Fees||Please access this page.|
|Time of Payment||When confirming the donation.|
|Time of Shipping, Return and Exchange Policy||None|
Details on Preferential Tax Treatments
Taxation on Contributions
The Independent Administrative Institution National Institutes for Cultural Heritage (Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties’s governing body) is a designated public-service promotion corporation. As such, individuals and companies making contributions to Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties can receive preferential income and resident tax treatment separate from other general donations.
Contributions to Cultural Properties Cultural Property Research Fund are eligible for this preferential tax treatment.
*If you pay income tax in Japan and wish to receive a Certificate for a tax deduction, please refer to the Inquiries tab to contact us after confirming your donation.
How to Apply for Preferential Tax Treatment
Please submit the Donation Acceptance Certificate or the Receipt issued by Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties when filing your taxes.
These documents are needed to receive preferential tax treatment, so please store them securely.
About Preferential Tax Treatments (Deductions)
Contributions to designated public-service promotion corporations are eligible for the following preferential tax treatment.
When an individual makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid is treated as a "designated donation" and a certain amount is subject to tax deduction following appropriate procedures. This system allows either [the sum of total donation made during the year] or [Amount equal to 40% of total income] (Applied to the lower amount of the two) minus 2000 yen to be deducted from taxes.
- If total annual income is 8,000,000 yen:
40% of total annual income = 3,200,000 yen
- Tax deducted in this case is calculated as follows:
If total amount of donation is 50,000 yen; (50,000 yen - 2,000 yen = 48,000 yen)
If total amount of donation is 4,000,000 yen; 3,200,000 - 2,000 yen = 3,198,000 yen
When a corporate makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid can be listed separate from standard donations to receive preferential tax deduction. In addition, the revisions to the tax system in 2012 raised the deductible amount limit to allow for a further preferential treatment.
⇒Deductible tax amount = (Capital fund x 0.375% + 6.25% of Gross Income) x 1/2
How to Donate
Payment by credit card
- Enter the donation amount, fill in required items(*)and select ‘Add to Cart’ on the page of the project you wish to support (donors can make multiple donations).
- After checking the ‘Cart Contents’ on the cart page, please proceed to checkout.
- Please fill in the necessary information(*).
- After checking all the details on the ‘Checkout’ page, please confirm your donation.
*We accept the following cards.
*Notes regarding credit card payments
- Credit cards can only be used by the person who owns the card.
- Payments in multiple installments are not possible.
- As a general rule, changes cannot be made and funds cannot by returned after a payment is made.
- The payment will be taken from the designated account on the date determined by your credit card company. Please consult the statement issued by your credit card company for details.
- Please contact your credit card company if an error occurs after payment is made.
Payment by bank transfer (Limited to addresses within Japan)
Donations to the Cultural Property Research Fund can be made by applying on our website or through direct transfer to the account below. Please make a donation if you agree with our aims.
*Contributions start at 1,000 yen.
*Please pay the bank transfer fees separately.
Transfer account: Mitsui Sumitomo Bank, Tokyo Public Institutions Operations Office, regular account, 0177653
Account name: Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties Contributions (トウキョウブンカザイケンキュウショキフキン)