Nara National Museum has established a Supporting Member System to solicit wide-ranging support for our activities. These activities include the collection, conservation, management and display of cultural properties as well as research and educational initiatives.
We look forward to receiving your generous support.
- Membership is valid for one year (until the end of the month one year from the month when membership begins)
- Membership cannot be cancelled or changed after payment is received. Thank you for understanding.
- Please keep your transfer receipt safe until you receive your membership card.
- Members can visit all of Nara National Museum’s exhibitions for free any number of times with one accompanying person by presenting their membership card. Members can also visit special exhibitions/co-sponsored exhibitions once and regular exhibitions any number of times for free at the Tokyo, Kyoto and Kyushu National Museums.
- Members will also be invited to special exhibition/co-sponsored exhibition opening ceremonies and special viewing events held at Nara National Museum.
- Members will receive a catalogue for each exhibition held at Nara National Museum. (Catalogues are not prepared for every exhibition. Thank you for understanding)
- Members will be sent a calendar of Nara National Museum’s precious cultural properties in December.
- Members will be sent ‘Nara National Museum Dayori’ a quarterly magazine containing information about exhibitions, exhibits and events at Nara National Museum(Japanese language only). The member’s name will also be listed in the magazine.
- Members can receive a 20% discount on Nara National Museum exhibition catalogues (apart from co-sponsored exhibitions) by showing their membership card at the Museum Shop (in the underground corridor).
- Members can receive a 5% discount at the Half Time Restaurant (in the underground corridor) by presenting their membership card when paying.
*Limited to addresses within Japan.
Business Development, General Affairs Division
Information Based on the Specified Commercial Transactions
|Operational Organization||Nara National Museum|
|Operational Director||Sonobe Kuniteru, Deputy Executive Director|
|Address||50 Noboriōji-chō, Nara-shi, Nara 630-8213, Japan|
|Application and Payment Method,Other Fees||Please access this page.|
|Time of Payment||When confirming the donation.|
|Time of Shipping, Return and Exchange Policy||None|
Details on Preferential Tax Treatments
Taxation on Contributions
The Independent Administrative Institution National Institutes for Cultural Heritage (Nara National Museum’s governing body) is a designated public-service promotion corporation. As such, individuals and companies making contributions to Nara National Museum can receive preferential income and resident tax treatment separate from other general donations.
Contributions to Individual Members are eligible for this preferential tax treatment.
*If you pay income tax in Japan and wish to receive a Certificate for a tax deduction, please refer to the Inquiries tab to contact us after confirming your donation.
How to Apply for Preferential Tax Treatment
Please submit the Donation Acceptance Certificate or the Receipt issued by Nara National Museum when filing your taxes.
These documents are needed to receive preferential tax treatment, so please store them securely.
About Preferential Tax Treatments (Deductions)
Contributions to designated public-service promotion corporations are eligible for the following preferential tax treatment.
When an individual makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid is treated as a "designated donation" and a certain amount is subject to tax deduction following appropriate procedures. This system allows either [the sum of total donation made during the year] or [Amount equal to 40% of total income] (Applied to the lower amount of the two) minus 2000 yen to be deducted from taxes.
- If total annual income is 8,000,000 yen:
40% of total annual income = 3,200,000 yen
- Tax deducted in this case is calculated as follows:
If total amount of donation is 50,000 yen; (50,000 yen - 2,000 yen = 48,000 yen)
If total amount of donation is 4,000,000 yen; 3,200,000 - 2,000 yen = 3,198,000 yen
When a corporate makes donations to a public-service promotion corporation, the amount paid can be listed separate from standard donations to receive preferential tax deduction. In addition, the revisions to the tax system in 2012 raised the deductible amount limit to allow for a further preferential treatment.
⇒Deductible tax amount = (Capital fund x 0.375% + 6.25% of Gross Income) x 1/2
How to Donate
Payment by credit card
- Enter the donation amount, fill in required items(*)and select ‘Add to Cart’ on the page of the project you wish to support (donors can make multiple donations).
- After checking the ‘Cart Contents’ on the cart page, please proceed to checkout.
- Please fill in the necessary information(*).
- After checking all the details on the ‘Checkout’ page, please confirm your donation.
*We accept the following cards.
*Notes regarding credit card payments
- Credit cards can only be used by the person who owns the card.
- Payments in multiple installments are not possible.
- As a general rule, changes cannot be made and funds cannot by returned after a payment is made.
- The payment will be taken from the designated account on the date determined by your credit card company. Please consult the statement issued by your credit card company for details.
- Please contact your credit card company if an error occurs after payment is made.
Payment by bank transfer (Limited to addresses within Japan)
Please contact below and provide your name and address. We will send you a Donation Application Form.
Business Development, General Affairs Division, Nara National Museum
Telephone: 0742-22-4450 (direct line)
*You can also apply for membership at the reception at Nara National Museum (or in the Buddhist Sculpture Hall).
You will be issued with a temporary member’s card, so if you apply before visiting the museum, you can use your membership benefits on the same day (the regular member’s card will be sent by post a few days later).
Reception hours: From 9:30 to 30 minutes before closing on days when the museum is open.